During my initial appraisal, although the shutter was not firing, I at least discovered how to cock it: there’s a little cog which engages with the film sprockets and as the film is wound on, the cog turns and cocks the shutter. Kind of neat, but it might have been a better idea to have a more direct connection I think! Continue reading “Canon Dial 35 (part 2)”
Quite a few years back now, I first saw a Canon Dial 35 camera, and was struck by the look of the thing — as an object I think it’s pretty nice to look at — however it seemed that they were always out of my reach price-wise (not literally, but they always seemed a bit expensive).
Recently I happened upon a spares-or-repairs Dial with a buy-it-now price which seemed pretty reasonable, so I bought it. The camera had not been film tested, it had a dent in the back, and the rubber trim was coming adrift. But still, I thought I’d take a chance that actually it did work, but that the owner just couldn’t test it. Maybe I’d get lucky? Continue reading “Canon Dial 35 (part 1)”
Many years ago I had my eye on getting an Akai ME35T (Trigger to MIDI converter), however at the time they seemed quite sought after and hence a bit on the pricey side.
Fast forward to late 2016 and I saw one on eBay listed as spares-or-repairs — the current owner didn’t have the ability to test it beyond plugging it in and stating that the LEDs were working. Cosmetically, it was a little lacking (missing one button, various scratches and scrapes, loose glass, and a bent rack ear). Anyway, the price was right so I bought it!
I’ve had the phrase field memory recorder running through my head ever since I saw an ebay item of the same name (it’s a solid-state field recorder from Fostex btw). Just that phrase conjures up sounds/images which I’ve been mulling over for a few months now.
Finally, over the last week or so, I’ve had a chance to make a start on the project (including writing various sound-mangling processes within Reaktor 5), and now here’s the first track under that pseudonym.
I made a video utilising some footage I found on my hard drive of the old sugar beet factory in York (long since disappeared) which you can see on the youtube clip above.
It felt like a good idea on January 1st, but it became more of a burden as the year progressed. Some days were easy, some not so easy, but I got to the end of the year having produced over 40 hours of organised sound in 2015…